The European Union Council Resolution on a renewed European Agenda for Adult Learning highlighted that much more remains to be done in relation to targeted learning for migrants. The general objectives of SIGE is to support the social inclusion of low skilled people with a migrant background or belonging to a minority by contributing to the development and increase of a flexible blended gamified learning offer.
In particular the objectives of SIGE are:
– Research the needs of the low skilled people with a migrant background or belonging to a minority in relation with key competences and with how flexible, blended and gamified learning offer could deal with these needs.
– Explore the educational potential of Gamification and game-based learning as an innovative instrument for enhancing active participation, engagement and inclusion in education and in society
– Design an innovative blended upskilling learning course tailored for low skilled migrant or belonging to a minority that integrates game-based mechanics and game thinking to turn the learning process as a whole into a game as well as practical apps and tools to use games as part of the learning process
– Design an innovative modular blended upskilling learning course tailored for low skilled migrant or belonging to a minority that integrates game-based mechanics and game thinking to turn the learning process as a whole into a game as well as practical apps and tools to use games as part of the learning process and that allows for the recognition of prior knowledge
– Empower adult educators working with low skilled adult with a migrant background or belonging to a minority to use Gamification and game-based learning to deal with diversified groups and improve the quality of their teaching practice
We aim at reaching these objective by implementing the following main activities:
– Desk and field research to increasing knowledge of the local context in terms of education needs of migrants and people from disadvantaged background, thus obtaining a working environment fertile to the improvement and innovation of existing educational practices. The outcome can be used not only by Adult Educators, but also by other professionals, policy makers, stakeholders.
– Creation of IO1 Adult education course “Upskill through Gamification”, a blended course that aims to provide a unique gamified learning opportunity for people with migrants background or belonging to a minority to upskill and enhance their key competences and foster their integration and inclusion into society and the labour market. The course will be implementatedat the local level in each partner country.
– Creation of IO2 SIGE handbook for Adult Educators working with low skilled people with a migrant background to support adult educational staff working with low skills people with a migrant background or belonging to a minority in using game-based elements and app in their teaching
– Creation of SIGE network for cross-sectoral cooperation at the EU level focusing on Gamification for adult learners, that will gather the participating organizations of the project, accepting also any other stakeholder interested and aimed at.
SIGE is expected to impact on several levels:
At local level we expect to register the greatest impact, adult educators will in particular get acquainted with innovative methodologies to teach and foster the integration of people with fewer opportunities, in turn becoming active agents of similar new initiatives. The local migrant community and minorities will in be motivated to engage in adult training.
At the regional and national level we expect to see an increase and innovation of the educational offer for migrants at the regional and national level. More and more subjects, even among fragile ones, will be included in lifelong learning activities. The contribution of associated partners and stakeholders can encourage, at this level, a positive change also in terms of public policies able to support the integration of migrants into education.
At european level, thanks to the creation of SIGE network for cross-sectorial cooperation at EU level other European adult organizations and NGOs will be able to learn about our project, access the blended education course and adapt them to improve and innove their activities. This will develop a greater sense of belonging to Europe, the creation of new transnational projects and synergies and the development of new teaching paths with an international scope.